07 February 2010

MCN ExCeL Show

I was up early and rode to the event. Actually following some other bikers from the A13 as my TomTom went nuts and tried to navigate me in circles. My thanks to those guys! The event itself: it was tiny! I know there is a temptation to compare it to the NEC show and that is a little unfair, however it did feel much smaller then the last time I went, two years ago. Given that ExCeL is a massive place, it looked like there were only two of its halls being used. For the ticket cost I feel that I have been a little hard done by when it is compared to NEC, sorry MCN but value wise the NEC is leaps and bounds over you. Even comparing some of the stands. The George White stand, at the NEC, was like walking into a mini shop. The racking went up high and there was tons for sale. At MCN, the stand felt more like a car-boot sale, lacking what made it impressive at NEC. That, I think, is what made the event feel smaller, the stands seemed less grandiose. Even the manufacturers stands didn't have the same buzz that was at the NEC.

But for those looking for a bargain there did seem to be a few bits on offer, there was a 2-piece leather suit that I notice was half price. Okay, it is last years, still a decent enough saving.

On a more personal note I wasn't able to buy anything that I went for. Seems that either everyone is my small size or companies just don't accommodate for the smaller guy! I never realised the a 40-inch chest is XS, that makes me feel even smaller... Neither were there any helmets that really took my fancy. So for me it was largely a wasted trip. Yet that is being a little harsh. I always enjoy going to these sorts of shows and it was fun to look at everything that is on offer in one place. Even getting the chance to actually sit on the Triumph Daytona, which I couldn't do at the NEC with the number of people around it. And I got a free goodie bag from MCN as one of their subscribers.

Overall I enjoyed my time there, yes it is small and not really as good value as the 'other' big show, but they also had Honda and Harley Davidson. Will I go again? Maybe, if I need to go shopping at this time of year. Is it a 'day outs' worth? No, unfortunately. You can get lost in NEC for hours, going round and round and still finding new things to look at. If you want to make a day of it at ExCeL I would suggest thinking about where you could once you have spent the hour or two there. There is Thurock nearby for the shopaholics or maybe go off into London proper.

In all honesty I think it is almost as fun to wait for places like George White to have its open days. They tend to be when it is warmer and they have their full range available. Not a full days out worth in itself, but at least you can go with mates and just make it a stop on a ride-out, and best of all, it is free to go to.

MCN ExCeL needs to become much larger and maybe moved later in the year as it is just too close to the NEC which, fairly or not, is what it will always be compared too. Moving to somewhere May to June time may decrease the comparison. It would be warmer too.

No comments: