30 August 2009

Going for it

Well went to George Whites today to have another look at my 3 contenders for a new bike (ER6F, GSX650F and XJ6 Divvy). Okay I was a little bit of a chicken as I took the car, although glad I did as it hammered it down for a while there and back. Given the 100 mile round trip I wasn't unhappy that I didn't get drenched and then had to walk about wet. My comeuppance was that I forgot to take my kit with me and couldn't get out on the bike to test ride. Sitting on each though gave me a chance to reflect on them.

The GSX650F is a very nice bike, looks good and has a whopping great bike exhaust bolted on the side. My problem with it is when my feet are on the ground part of the faring rubs against my leg. Not a deal breaker, after all how long do you spend like that on a bike? But when I lifted my knees into a riding position they rested on part of the tank, which could cause a problem if there was any vibration. The seat was very comfortable and I could imagine being able to sit on it for quite some time. The Divvy again, very nice although I think it is lighter then the GSX it felt much heavier when bringing it up from its side stand. One thing the Divvy had which neither of the other too seemed to, was a center stand. Although not the most glamorous if biking accessories, it does make working on the bike easier. The seat though felt rock hard when sitting on it, which was weird as poking it with a finger felt really soft. Defiantly one for a test ride. My biggest 'issue' with the Divvy is the front lamp suite. I have no idea what Yamaha were thinking when they put that 'jewel' for a running lamp on top of the main lamp! The red it comes in though is stunning.

Last is my favourite, the ER6F. It feels nice and light and like the other two has a good riding position. My body shape wraps around the bike with little or no problems that I noticed and despite the latest edition of Bike saying the ER6F had the most cramped riding position of these three (they also had the Aprilla Shiva but I am not interested in that bike), I actually felt the GSX was more cramped. Again that could simply be because of my body shape. I'll admit I am a little bias with the little Kawasaki, I have long lusted after it, however I am hoping to have a test ride next weekend to see if it rides as well as it looks to me!

No comments: