27 July 2008

New Helmet

Done a long ride yesterday down the A303 (actually to attend my car clubs trackday which I was videoing but that is another story!), while it isn't the most engaging road, it does have some wonderful views along it. That is if you can deal with all the caravans and other traffic that was going along there! Actually it was the longest amount of filtering I have ever done, only one car tried to pull out (without indicating) onto me to get into the other lane. Ironically that lane wasn't going any faster, there was just a large gap so he decided it would be his no matter what.


View Larger Map

Was also followed, while filtering, by a few other bikers. Not sure how you 'nod' to bikers who are behind you, but sorry if I was going a little slow, still a bit nervous when filtering.

Anyhoo back to the story at hand, it is about an hour and halfs ride from Basingstoke to my destination so in total was on the bike around 3 hours. By the time I got home my head was killing me due to the helmet pressing onto my forehead. I decided that it was a good time to buy new one and this time not skimp on it. Last time I spent about £50 on the helmet as I was going for my CBT and wasn't even sure I would like riding, so didn't see the point in shelling out £200+ for a Shoei or an Arai. Now I do see the point, that said the helmet has done its job that I brought it for. So a trip out to Infinity Motorcycles in Farnbough was in order, would have gone to Mott Motorcycles but they were closed. After speaking to the guy in the shop about options (he was very passionate about getting the right helmet!) I decided on an Arai Condor in plain black, then was swiftly lightened of £200 from my wallet! Compared to my current helmet (an RDM) it is so much more comfortable with better padding around the face and cut more noise out. After putting it on all I could say was "wow" it was just so comfortable. Even my partner has brought the same one after saying the same comment! It is now on order and will have it, hopefully, on Tuesday. Unfortunatly I have to pick both helmets up so have to go in the car (want to keep my current helmet as a spare).

No comments: