24 June 2008

Helmet strap

I discovered today why it is important to keep your helmets chin strap done up tightly. But before I say why, let me go back a few months to when I was helping a mate look for a new helmet. (Skip to the 3rd paragraph to go straight to it!)

There we were shopping around sampling helmets when we found a few that fitted nice and snugly. The interesting thing was that it didn't have the "sealt belt" buckle similar to my helmet, it had the "Double-D" type. We're told that the double-d is actually safer then the newer buckle type. Asking why, it seems that many people don't check the tightness of the strap often and can be riding with a helmet that may not stay on in the event of a crash. The x2D strap means you have it tighten every time you use it, so you get maximum safety.

So anyway, I was riding to work when I was caught by a gust of wind that lifted my helmet enough that the chin bar obscured much of my lower vision! The moral of the story, ensure you check the tightness of the strap regularly.

No comments: