14 May 2008

Fuel economy

One of the reasons that I went to get a motorbike is because of the price of fuel these days. Around where I live it is already well over the £1.10 mark per litre, and that is just for normal unleaded. My car uses premium (or RON98+) which is almost on par with diesel or to put it another way, ***king expensive!

With the bike I was hoping to have an increase in the miles that I get out of every drop of petrol that goes into it, and, to my real surprise, I have. The current average is 61mpg, which personally I think is a fantastic figure, even my car tops out at about 45mpg. That gives me roughly a range of about 240miles to a tank of petrol in the bike (17 litres) to only about 300 miles to my car (33 litres). Given the approximate amount of miles that I am doing a year from the car and bike; that gives me a fuel saving of around £170-210, more then the cost of taxing, MOTing and insuring the bike even at the lower figure.

So as long as you don't go mad with the size of the engine in a bike (although I have no doubt I will go up to a 600-650 later!) you can get some amazing mileage out of a bike and save money in the process!

No comments: